I was craving scones for a long time, for months.. or years. I don’t know why I have not made them earlier?! They are so damn easy. I always thought they were difficult, like croissant difficulty. So recently around midnight, I just wanted to eat them so badly. I looked for recipes online and found one that had been made by over 600 people. I decided that I was going to make them the next morning. And I did.
The first time I ate scones was in USA I think, I’m really not sure as it was so long ago. I remember we took a package of scones mix home, you only had to add some water! Back then it seemed like the only way to make scones, now the only-add-water-scones-mix sound rather dodgy than yummy to me. haha.
I ate the scones with my favorite jam, which is Bonne Mamam strawberry jam.
- 200g cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 50g cold unsalted butter
- 100ml cold milk
- Combine cake flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl and cool in the fridge for half an hour (or longer).
- Cut the butter in smal pieces and add to the bowl with dry ingredients.
- With your fingers, combine the butter and flour mixture until crumbs develop.
- Add the milk little by little and mix in, you can use a spatula/spoon for this as it will be sticky.
- Preheat oven to 190°C / 375 °F.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and leave in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Roll the dough 2.5cm / one inch thick and cut out ten circles with 5cm / 2inch diameter.
- Place the scones on a baking tray and brush milk on the tops.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
recipe source [cookpad]