It’s been a while. A lot has happened since my last post in May. From May to July I had to focus on my last period of university. Oh well at least I graduated from the Delft University of Technology for my Bachelor of Science Industrial Design Engineering! Hurrayy
Then in the beginning of July it was my 21st birthday and I also found a job so I’m working 4 days a week. During my last period of university I also decided I’m not going to do a Master in Industrial design, but try to pursue my dream of being a pastry chef! So I also gave up my student apartment and moved back to my parents.
Tomorrow morning I’m leaving for 5 days New York City!! I’ve been to the US many times now, but had never visited NYC. After those 5 days we will fly to Florida and have some sort of beach vacation Tips/suggestions for food and things to do in NYC as well in Miami, Naples and Fort Myers are welcome!
Oh yes, this is still a food blog right? I asked you guys about a month ago what my next post should be about and the majority of the votes were for cake. For my birthday I received a fab cookbook, called A la Mere de Famille, it’s full of amazing French cakes, cookies, chocolate and sweets. I tried their cake recipe and 3 cookie recipes and all were great! I highly recommend this book! *Note: I see this book is not released in English yet, be patient or try the French book maybe?
- 4 Lemons
- 250g sugar
- 4 eggs
- 100g heated heavy cream
- 220g all purpose flour
- 6g baking powder
- 70g melted butter
- 125g water
- 12g lemon juice
- 50g sugar
- Preheat your oven to 200ºC/390ºF and line a cake tin with parchment paper.
- Wash the lemons thoroughly and zest the lemons above the bowl of sugar to minimize the flavor loss of the zest.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until it becomes thick and white.
- Add the heated heavy cream to the mixture and whisk.
- Add the flour and baking powder and whisk until incorporated.
- Add the melted butter and whisk until incorporated.
- Bake the cake for 5 minutes at 200ºC/390ºF degrees. Remove from oven, reduce heat to 155ºC/310ºF. With a knife, make a cut lengthwise in the surface of the cake and return to the oven to bake for another 35 minutes. Check if your cake is ready with a cake tester.
- Leave the cake to cool and make the syrup. Add all ingredients to a pot and bring to boil. Let it cool and brush the cake with the syrup.